Tuesday, March 12, 2013

So You'd Better Treat Her Right

I was away at the Tucson Festival of Books this past weekend, having what can only be described as a high old time. Consort and the kid stayed at home, because the kid's life continued at its usual relentless pace: my logistical instructions to Consort ran three pages; the different sports and activity-bags took up half the laundry room.

You know, just another weekend in the life of a 21st-century American child.

The night I arrived, I received the following text:

All of today's appointments have been met. Am currently sitting in the car waiting for #4 to be done so we can go home and rest to be ready for everything tomorrow. HOW DO YOU DO THIS AND ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING ELSE???

I don't want to admit how often I reread that in delight; I will say that it's possible I will cross-stitch that on a pillow, for comfort later.



8 Comments:

Anonymous Randy said...

It's good for them to see the other side every once in a while!

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Sherri said...

I discovered that I was willing to overcome the fear of having a 16 year old drive when I grew tired enough of sitting in the car all the time myself. I'm also realizing the amount of free time I'm going to have when the kid goes off to college next fall.

2:26 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

While it's wonderful that Consort currently recognizes the effort you put forth each day, you do realize he will have forgotten all of it the moment you walked back in the door, right?

5:04 PM  
Anonymous Lydia G said...

What a satisfying and unexpected side effect of your trip!

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Robin Raven said...

Aw, that's really sweet. I like that. What feels better than being appreciated? Awesome!

1:32 AM  
Blogger Mark Moran said...

Just think of yourself as "the Mighty Quinn."

7:10 AM  
Blogger Jane said...

I thoroughly enjoyed your panel on Humor at the Tucson Book Festival! I can't wait to read your book. Thank you for being there, and supporting one of our major events of the year!

3:11 PM  
Blogger Judy said...

I love this post.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home