Friday, March 09, 2012

Vacation, Had to Get Away

I want to write without actually having anything which needs airing out, so I reached out on Twitter, asking for questions. Javachick asked What are you positively looking forward to the most this Summer? I happen to think this is an excellent question, and yet oddly enough always loathed the essay “What I Did This Summer.” I believe this is because history has shown anticipating I’d be at the beach a lot, date a sensitive, smart Irish boy and finally look good in white jeans was leagues more fun than dutifully writing I went to summer school and now know how to type. Also, I had strep throat. Twice.


What am I positively looking forward to? Well, the book comes out August 7th, and that’s fun. I mean, it’s going to be a quiet kind of fun, because I’m strange and won’t let anyone throw me an author’s party. Two incredibly lovely friends with perfect party-houses have offered and my first response is always “A party where I’d be the guest of honor and someone might toast me while everyone else looks at me?”

(Insert appalled expression here.)

(Insert horrified silence here.)

Honestly, sometimes I think one of the reasons getting married gives me the squinks is the thought of being the focus of that much attention for a day. But the book will come out and perhaps I’ll get a chance to talk to some people in the press about education, which excites me inner wonk. And I’ll do another Quinn Cummings Seemingly Endless Blog Book Tour, which (thank you Sara J. Henry, Who Knows Things) was the most fun I had with the first book. So there’s that.

We’re threatening to travel as a family, which hasn’t happened in years. YEARS. Between not wanting to spend the money and having things which took up our vacation time, we’ve been staycationing since before that become a horrible portmanteau word. And yes, Los Angeles has a lot to offer, but if it doesn’t take place in a strip club or a morgue, I think the kid and I have done it by now. It’ll be nice to haul the family to some new city and find out if their green tea is any different that our green tea.

What else which is positive? Nothing else yet, but your effective use of the word positive has reframed the calendar in my mind, Javachick, and I thank you for that.

4 Comments:

Blogger Nanita said...

You are "positively" welcome! And I loved reading your answer - and can't wait to read your book. (And I don't even have kids.)

4:25 PM  
Blogger Sara J. Henry said...

Sara J. Henry wants to point out that, while it is a long way from California and she knows you don't like to fly, Vermont is a lovely state with some cultural oddities you all might enjoy (and guest quarters are available, with a nice river to swim in).

5:35 AM  
Blogger Mark Moran said...

Wisconsin is nice, and the people are friendly. Lotsa lakes too, even more than Minnesota, so there's that ...

3:27 PM  
Blogger StevenIre said...

Pack up that couch outfit for your vacation along with the furniture caster coaster earrings because—yes, the outfit is a couch coming towards you, but it is a pull out bed going away. The only hereafter narrator I know is Arte Johnson’s dirty old man who used the pickup line on Ruth Buzzi, “Do you believe in the hereafter?” “Of course I do!” said Ms Buzzi. “Good. Then you know what I’m here after.”

6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home